water pump question

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

water pump question

Postby Intuition on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:43 am

New R25 - maiden voyage last weekend. the forward fresh water pump - Johnson WPS - pumps water ok, but, when the faucets are off, the pump keeps trying to operate. Is this indicative of a hole in the diaphram? or other problem? is this normal? (I don't think so). Also - there is a brass item about 6" from the pump in the discharge line - what is this? could it be the problem?
Intuition

City: Anchorage
State/Province: AK
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Razzberry JAMM

Re: water pump question

Postby captain's cat on Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:02 pm

There's a leak somewhere. The pump shuts off when it builds up pressure. Could be that the switch that shuts it off (pressure switch) is defective too.

Charlie
Charlie
TC255
THATAWAY
captain's cat

City: Heathsville
State/Province: VA
Non-Ranger Model: C-Dory Tomcat TC255
Vessel Name: THATAWAY

Postby CaptMac on Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:12 pm

Yep - sounds like a leak. Could be a loose hose clamp. You may get lucky and see water dripping into the bilge to trace the source. Otherwise, it's time to ask Andrew!

The metal valve located close to the pump might be the check valve which is used when you connect to shore water

Mac
CaptMac

City: Clinton
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Passage Weaver
MMSI Number: 367558060

Postby henrym on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:31 am

My Johnson fresh water pump picked up some foreign matter from the water tank that clogged some of the valves in the pump causing it to continue to run with the faucets off. Fresh water will start to rise in the bilge if a leak is causing the pump to continue running with everything off. I also had a slow leak at the hot water heater that cause the pump to cycle on and off.
Henry
henrym

City: Vero Beach
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: Little Toot

Postby CaptMac on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:45 am

Just thought of another possibility. The built in pressure switch on ours flooded and corroded away. We had to replace the pump to fix it. Since we were cruising at the time it failed, we had to just keep turning the pump on and off by the switch when we wanted water. A real pain, but fairly easy to fix (with a new pump).
CaptMac

City: Clinton
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Passage Weaver
MMSI Number: 367558060

Postby Andrew Custis on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:14 pm

Very rarely have I seen the pump actually have good pressure at a faucet with a leak. I would have to go with the pressure switch. What I have found lately was little plastic shavings inside the pump that were causing this not to close all the way. I pulled one apart in about 20 mintes the other day and had it fixed. Did I mention that being thin with long arms is a benefit for working on boats?

Remember this. You have an inspection port at all of the breaks in the fresh water system. The pump is located behind the cabin heater. We install the cabin heater with hoses long enough that you can just pull it out of the way without disconnecting anything.
Andrew Custis
Ranger Tugs & Cutwater Boats
andrewcustis@rangertugs.com
Andrew Custis
Ranger/Cutwater Factory Rep

City: Kent

Postby Intuition on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:26 am

problem fixed.
it was plastic shavings from the original manufacture got to the diaphram and caused the problem. Llike andrew said - cleaned it out and no problem.
thanks
Intuition

City: Anchorage
State/Province: AK
Vessel Name: Razzberry JAMM

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory