Ability to Add Air Conditioning and a Generator - Used R29

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

Ability to Add Air Conditioning and a Generator - Used R29

Postby Smokeyham on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:14 pm

If I was to purchase a used Ranger 29 which did not have a generator or air conditioning, how possible is it to add those two items? I would like them to be as effective as the original factory install, i.e. not a free standing generator or air conditioner.

Thanks...
Smokeyham

City: Los Altos
State/Province: CA

Re: Ability to Add Air Conditioning and a Generator - Used R29

Postby Levitation on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:52 am

Anything can be done. Cost is likely going to be a shock.
denny-o
R25 #115
Levitation

City: hemlock
State/Province: MI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Charlotte Ann

Postby pugtug613 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:21 am

Hopefully, the duct work is in place. Maybe the factory installs it on every boat. Then the A/C is fairly simple. But a gen would probably cost 15K. How about a Honda gen. They are gas, but they are quite and they work well. I have several friends that use them.
pugtug613

City: Bohemia
State/Province: NY
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Pugs Tug

Postby Irish Mist on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:51 am

If it was me I would install an electric A/C unit on the roof .. Does not need water to work and would cool the boat no problem.. And go with a portable generator
Irish Mist

City: victoria
State/Province: BC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic

Postby Boont Boater on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:29 am

You probably already have a nice diesel heater on your boat - so you don't really need reverse air cond./heat.
Boont Boater

City: Boonville
Vessel Name: Aurora

Postby knotflying on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:35 am

I use the Honda 2000 and quite frankly have only used it 3 times over three years and really only to let it run. I really have not had a need for the generator. It seems to me, after seeing many similar posts, that the generators don't get used much and tend to get error codes and shut down when they are used. I have the Dometic A/C. It works great, but I think if I could have gone with one of those Coleman units on the roof I would have gone that route. They are easy to maintain and you can use them in an RV park when trailering.
I think the R-29 has two A/C units installed in them, so you may be looking at a two unit installation.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby LADYBUG TOO on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:41 am

Depending on your DIY experience, it can be done but as noted above there may be some sticker shock. I have removed and reinstalled the Mase 4.0 diesel generator on Ladybug, Too. I needed a little help lifting the unit out of the starboard locker. You need to remove the shock tube and tie off the hatch to get head room. You will need a through hull with no scoop strainer and you will need to modify the main electrical. Generators are noisy despite the sound dampening material so bear that in mind. The Honda gas units are quieter but gas is an issue as diesel does not require ignition protection. The A/C is another story. Lightning got both control panels on our A/C units so we had to remove the forward panel in the cave to access the main A/C unit and it is definitely tight. There is very little duct work involved but it doesn't look easy to get the unit in there.. We went through the refrigerator hole to get to the salon unit and it does have some duct work under the bunk. Again, that doesn't look easy either. If you really want to do the mod, I would only install the main unit and forget the salon unit. We are on Florida's west coast and really have not needed the salon A/C. Space limitations mean that a water source unit is the best choice so you will need a through hull with scoop strainer for the A/C water pump. If you would like pictures or further discussion send me a PM and I will give you contact info.

Pat
Ladybug, Too
LADYBUG TOO

City: Pensacola
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: LADYBUG, TOO

Postby Longbranch Louie on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:12 am

Is there any concern with combining an air conditioning system when you have a propane stove? The reason I ask is it seems that in a lot of boats that have air, they also come with an electric stove as sort of an east coast package. Is that just because boaters using air are at the dock more or is there any ventilation concerns? It would seem with the amp demand of an air conditioner, one wouldn't want the added demand of an electric stove on their generator unless it was for another reason. Likewise it seems boats with air don't use a diesel heat type system, but combine it with a reverse air heat system that requires use of a generator. Does use of propane or diesel heat create a air draw/carbon monoxide problem when used with AC?
Longbranch Louie

City: Lakebay
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Northern Comfort

Postby knotflying on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:13 pm

Longbranch,
I think the rationale with using an electric stove is that with A/C one may have a generator so using an electric stove isn't an issue. I actually have air conditioning, the Wabasto heater and propane stove. The reasoning was that when on the hook I can get heat and use the stove while using 12 volts. We are in Florida during the winter and have found while on the hook air conditioning was not required. At the dock it definitely is required at times, especially as you get closer to spring.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby LADYBUG TOO on Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:52 pm

One thing I forgot to mention is that a CO monitors are required and may in fact be with your original equipment. On the R-29 one CO monitor is in the cave and the other in the forward salon. They have a limited useful life and start chirping when they are bad or the battery voltage is low.

Pat
Ladybug, Too
LADYBUG TOO

City: Pensacola
State/Province: FL
Vessel Name: LADYBUG, TOO

Postby glthomas on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:01 pm

As soon as you purchase one without them another will come available that has both for a few extra bucks.
Spelling, Grammar, and Punctuation usually not up to par.
glthomas

City: Nederland
State/Province: TX
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Gus

Postby Boont Boater on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:16 pm

When I reread your original post and saw that you were contemplating the purchase - I would say exactly what the previous post says, in spades. Just keep looking and you'll find one with the whole shebang. From my personal experience and what all the Tugnuts have been saying you will save yourself a lot of trouble and expense.
Boont Boater

City: Boonville
Vessel Name: Aurora

Postby kskogerson on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:07 pm

Big expense, big weight, big fuel draw, almost never used unless you are in the tropics most of the time.
When you are under way there's nothing like the sea breeze in your face! Like riding a Harley.
Kent
kskogerson

City: carson city
State/Province: NV
Vessel Name: swede dreams II

Postby pugtug613 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:15 am

I agree. Buy a boat w/the equipment you want. I didn't notice you said you are looking to purchase. Personally, I would NOT buy a boat w/o A/C and a generator. I am in the NE right now. So, you could argue about not needing A/C. There is a 4 week period, August, that A/C is a very welcomed option. The generator is used to charge the batteries mostly. I only have 10 hours on it, but I like it. We spend a lot of time on the hook, so charging the batteries has to be done every 2 or 3 days, with the solar panel. We plan on doing the loop in a few years and we will end up in Florida, so A/C is a necessity! I like the idea of being completely independent. We don't have to go to any marina's at all. We use a marina when we want to, not because we have to. Good luck.
pugtug613

City: Bohemia
State/Province: NY
Vessel Name: Pugs Tug

Postby Irish Mist on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:23 am

As far as generator we use ours a lot for cooking and of course when it's on it is charging the batteries and making hotwater .. As I said before if I didn't have one I would opt for a portable.. But I must admit it is pretty nice being able to just push a button and have power.... The other side is there is the added weight and maintenance of the built in and being one that trailers my boat the portable works without water which would be a bonus for me ..
Irish Mist

City: victoria
State/Province: BC

Next

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory