Ability to Add Air Conditioning and a Generator - Used R29

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

Re: Ability to Add Air Conditioning and a Generator - Used R29

Postby Smokeyham on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:14 pm

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies!

Some people don't have a strong desire for air conditioning, but I really do so I'll heed the advice and look out for a tug which has the factory installed A/C and generator. However, the idea of having roof-mounted unit also sounds tempting since it would allow the A/C to be used if you stop for an overnight somewhere while towing. However, I wonder how well the unit would stand up to the salt water environment?
Smokeyham

City: Los Altos
State/Province: CA

Postby knotflying on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:07 pm

I have several friends that use the rooftop unit (not on a Ranger) and it has been several years without any issues. They are fairly inexpensive as compared to the standard water cooled marine. I think they cost around $1,500 or so. The only place that I think you would be able to install it would be behind the stack so I am not sure if you would have to modify the racks etc. to fit one in.
Good luck with your quest!

Mike Rizzo
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby Smokeyham on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:36 pm

pugtug613 wrote:I agree. Buy a boat w/the equipment you want. I didn't notice you said you are looking to purchase. Personally, I would NOT buy a boat w/o A/C and a generator. I am in the NE right now. So, you could argue about not needing A/C. There is a 4 week period, August, that A/C is a very welcomed option. The generator is used to charge the batteries mostly. I only have 10 hours on it, but I like it. We spend a lot of time on the hook, so charging the batteries has to be done every 2 or 3 days, with the solar panel. We plan on doing the loop in a few years and we will end up in Florida, so A/C is a necessity! I like the idea of being completely independent. We don't have to go to any marina's at all. We use a marina when we want to, not because we have to. Good luck.

I agree about really wanting a boat with air conditioning. I was just reading a post by someone doing the Loop, they are having 90 degree temps in Montreal in July. I would really not be happy without A/C.
Smokeyham

City: Los Altos

Postby Rednuke1 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:55 pm

Adding the generator and reverse cycle AC unit can indeed be done. I had it done to my 2015 Cutwater 28 to near factory specs, using all of the same components, (Nexgen generator), wiring process and ducting process as the factory. And the previous posters are correct, it isn't cheap. $15,000.00 +/-
Rednuke1

City: Minot
State/Province: ND
Ranger/Cutwater Model: C-28
Vessel Name: A Summer Place

Postby stwendl on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:39 pm

Marinair makes a nice 6000/7000 btu Reverse cool/heat unit. 42 lbs just needs the external water pump and it fits into the space under the companion steps on a r27. Very reasonably priced. I am adding one his weekend if all the parts are in
Difference between RVers and Boaters:
RVers move until they reach water, Boaters move until they reach land.
Ranger Tug owners can do both :)
stwendl

City: palo alto
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Cataleya

Postby captstu on Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:06 am

The Shearwater, a 2010 R25, has a second rooftop air cooled ac that we intended as a dehumidifier and now use for underway cooling with an inverter. See the section on underway air conditioning at Shearwater-sailing.com

Stuart Bell
Ranger 25: Shearwater
(561) 352-1796
Stuart Bell (561) 352-1796
stu@Shearwater-sailing.com
R-25 Shearwater IV
captstu

City: Delray Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV

Postby tugnnaweigh on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:02 am

I had a R25 with A/C and gen and now own a R29 with A/C and gen. In searching for the R29 I found most already have the A/C and gen. I’m thinking at that level of purchase price folks expect the luxury items to be included.

In using them on the R25 I found the intakes for both clogged so often I got really really careful as to the “cleanliness” of the water I was in and even then they clogged. All I can figure is even though the intakes are a copla feet underwater there’s significant suction right at their openings and anything floating nearby, or skidding along the hull, will and does get sucked in. And keep in mind these are round plain open intakes, no screens like the high speed pickups. And you lose
the impellers in just about every overheat event.

On my new to me R29 I’m putting flow alarms on these intakes and the engine raw water intake.

So I ended up with places I wouldn't use them, Petaluma Turning Basin, Petaluma Marina, Santa Barbara Harbor, Morro Bay Harbor, Monterey Harbor and places I didn’t want to use them which was everywhere except when on the hook or perhaps clean clean freshwater marinas. Oh, and in clean clean freshwater marinas they clogged there too.

So nowadays to help the in a marina comfort level we bring along a portable household A/C unit, running it on shore power and routing the exhaust hose out a porthole which is a surprisingly good fit!

As for exterior mounted units I would worry they would turn into rust buckets within a copla years unless they are salt water marine rated and don’t know of any that make that claim but folks here on the ‘Nuts say they are getting good life out of them so it’s nice to have choices.
tugnnaweigh

City: San Luis Obispo
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Home on the Ranger

Postby captstu on Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:06 pm

tugnnaweigh had a good point Our exterior air cooled unit is rusting somewhat. I spray protective paint on it every few months and expect to replace it (about $100) every 2 years or so. I'm looking for a better unit, but replacement only takes a few hours.
Stuart Bell (561) 352-1796
stu@Shearwater-sailing.com
R-25 Shearwater IV
captstu

City: Delray Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Shearwater IV

Previous

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory