fuel fill

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

Re: fuel fill

Postby CaptMac on Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:36 pm

CaptD

I know they have moved everything around, so the fuel & vent lines don't run in the same places. But I suspect there is still the strong chance that the vent line is crimped. Can you trace it through the boat and see if it is pinched anywhere? Perhaps you can try to blow air in the vent, with the filler cap off and see how easily it goes in? (Now that conjurs up quite an image - CaptD blowing on the fuel vent outlet - be sure to take a picture!)

After John fixed Island Ranger, fuel stops are now "easy" as long as they have the low velocity pumps. On high speed pumps, and those with the big filler noozles, I use my very large funnel......

Mac
CaptMac

City: Clinton
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Passage Weaver
MMSI Number: 367558060

Postby captd on Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:58 pm

I got an 1 1/4" nippel and a reducer from 1 1/2" now I think I need a 45 degree street 'L' to turn the fill upright. I am keeping the 1 1/2 for those big nozzles. It was a $100 worth of bronze without the street "L" I think it is going to make my fill days a bit easier. Hope it works, I will let you all know.
captd
Lucky Fin, 2009, sold 2011
Lucky Finagin 1979 27 ft. Lobster boat
Mis Dee, 2007 Sold 08
Hunky Dory, 2000 Sold 06
captd

City: Libby, Chain of Lakes
State/Province: MT
Non-Ranger Model: 27 ft. 1979 Sports Craft
Vessel Name: Lucky Finagin

Postby j&lgray on Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:22 pm

I do stand corrected, the filler tube takes an 1 1/4" pipe thread and I have both a metal one and a plastic extension now. Huge thank you goes to Andrew who installed a new vent line in the Laurie Ann that mirrors the installation done on the Rangers. I thought there was a problem in a sagging vent line that would trap fuel and therefore act like a P-trap plumbing fitting-it would stop the air from leaving. However, Andrew said the old vent line was fine. He did install a whistle on the vent line that tells me with the tank is nearly full so I can act accordingly.
John & Laurie Gray
Tribute, Kadey Krogen 39
Trilogy[i], Ranger 27
Former Ranger Tugs: [i]Andiamo
(R-29) and Laurie Ann (R-25)
www.tribute-kadeykrogen39.com,www.andiamo-ranger29.com and www.laurieann-ranger25.com
j&lgray

City: Everett
State/Province: WA
Non-Ranger Model: "Tribute" Kadey Krogen 39 Pilothouse
Vessel Name: Trilogy

Postby captd on Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:59 pm

Ok, I now have a 1 1/4" street elbow, ( 90 degree ) 1 1/4" nipple, a reducer from 1 1/2 to 1 1/4" 4 inch 1 1/2 nipple and a cap. Just a hair under $150 from West Marine. I will have pictures in much album.

captd
Mis Dee, 2007 Sold 08
Hunky Dory, 2000 Sold 06
captd

Postby terraplane on Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:17 pm

OK,
Trying to follow this. Since i put one of the first questions on here about this problem...now trying to figure it out.

Hull # 52..should i assumethere is a vent problem with tubing needing some kind of reorganizing? And should the factory be responsible for this?
Next, if is screw in the extension ..i understand the size now is 1 and one quarter...will that solve the filling problem for me?

tom
terraplane

City: rock hall
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic

Postby captd on Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:48 pm

Tom,
I don't know yet if this conglomeration will work or not. I filled up with fuel when we pulled in here. Soon as I go for broke the next time, I will let you all know. I put some pictures in the album for now.
Looks good though and it cannot be any worse than it was. :roll:
captd
Mis Dee, 2007 Sold 08
Hunky Dory, 2000 Sold 06
captd

Postby terraplane on Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:23 pm

Capt'd
If it works, it is worth it. Please let me know. My local natural resources police won't give me any more "warning" tickets for spashing fuel in the water!

Tom
terraplane

City: rock hall
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic

Postby tuggin aweigh on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:30 am

Andrew

re:post of Dec. 8, 2008

Ranger started with a fuel fill on the starboard side of the boat with it vented in the same area. What I found with that installation was the fuel line had somewhat of a pea trap going on with it. The fix for that one was cutting an access hole inside the cabinet underneath the stove and cutting off some of that excess fuel vent hose to get rid of the pea trap.

I correspnded with you regarding two concerns: 1) when fueling the fuel "burps" and I have a fuel spill. 2) a concern of accessing the fuel tank hose clamps above the tank. To correct the "burping" you told me that I would need to drill a hole for access to the vent line since it probably had a loop in it that was not allowing it to vent properly. In order to gain access to the fuel tank connections I would need to drill an access hole in the floor above the connections. To do this you would send me a special circle saw drill bit and give me the exact measurents as to where to drill. We are planning an extended trip in the tug and would like to complete these tasks before leaving. As I stated earlier I would be happy to send you security deposit on the bit to assure that it will be returned in a timely manner.

Frank and Pam Mathon
Tuggin Aweigh.
tuggin aweigh

City: Taylorville
State/Province: IL
Vessel Name: Tuggin Aweigh
MMSI Number: 367609060

Postby rt11002003 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:27 pm

I don't understand why both the R-25 and the R-21 EC folks should have fuel filling and fuel venting problems. Basically the boats are well designed and well built, but not the fuel systems.

Looking at my fuel system, a 2009 R-21 EC, it appears the factory didn't do such a good job in design or installation. My tank doesn't sit flat on the pan, ie. no bottom support for the tank, it doesn't have baffles or inspections ports, the supply line fitting at the tank is loose, the fuel return line is routed against a sharp edge of the fuel filter support bracket and the vent line has two kinks. :? :(

Gene
rt11002003

City: Flowery Branch
State/Province: GA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Loaf'N

Postby captd on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Better late than never. I took the brass back and got PVC. Works perfect. No more problems during fillup. no spills and takes a full nozzle. I like filling up now cept for the price. ;)
captd
Mis Dee, 2007 Sold 08
Hunky Dory, 2000 Sold 06
captd

Previous

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory