Rub Rail Leak

Ask away with your Ranger technical or pre-sales questions. A Ranger rep will give you the official scoop.

Rub Rail Leak

Postby HappyPlace on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:51 am

I have a tiny leak in the cave that appears to be coming from a screw holding the rub rail on the port side, where the gunwale water drains off the ledge. I currently have some white vinyl in place to redirect the flow, temporarily abating the issue.

Should I:

a) remove the single screw and put some marine caulk on it, then reinsert?
b) remove the single screw and put some 3M 5200 on it, then reinsert?
c) wait to remove the entire section of rub rail when pulled for the winter and perform (a) or (b)?
d) other suggestions or recommendation?

Any advice is always appreciated!

Al Sr.
Al Sr., Ann Marie & Roscoe

Happy Place
2014 Ranger R31 CB
HappyPlace

City: Lancaster
State/Province: PA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Happy Place

Re: Rub Rail Leak

Postby knotflying on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:13 am

As a first course of action I would use Lifeseal. Remove the screw and then apply a generous amount on all the threads and screw it back in. I would not use anything as permanent as 5200. If you have to take the screw out later to address the issue further you will have problems removing it.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby DBBRanger on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:41 am

Al,

I had a leak in the forward cabin that was rub rail related. It turned out to be leakage from pin holes in the fiberglass between the ledge and the ceiling - it only leaked with very hard and long rain showers. I removed the entire rub rail on the outside (both the metal and the plastic backing) and resealed the screws that were behind the rub rail and the screws that held the rub rail on. Apparently, the water was getting into the fiberglass at the joint screw holes and flowed down through it until it exited at a pinhole in the surface of the fiberglass. It wasn't obvious that that was the cause, but my solution seemed to work. After a couple of years, it has continued to stay dry. I agree with Knotflying - use Lifeseal.
DBBRanger

City: Ridgway
State/Province: CO
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 Classic
Vessel Name: Still Crazy

Postby HappyPlace on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:18 pm

Thank you all!
Al Sr., Ann Marie & Roscoe

Happy Place
2014 Ranger R31 CB
HappyPlace

City: Lancaster
State/Province: PA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 CB
Vessel Name: Happy Place

Postby Dale777 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:13 pm

HappyPlace,

In case the leak is not coming from the rub rail, consider a leak coming from the courtesy lights on the cabin's exterior just above the gunwales. See this link for a discussion of that issue:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4752&p=34616&hilit=caulk#p34616
Dale, My sister's art: http://www.cindydaunis.com/
My edit [] of: "The horn [ocean] stirs memories of fearful things, of powerful things, of noble and beautiful things!" by John Williams. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gztnm6GS9M
Dale777

City: Ft. Myers Beach
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-31 S
Vessel Name: TANGENT (2014)

Postby Stevan47 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:58 am

Hi guys: out of curiosity I was just reading your responses and I thought you may also have some advice for my situation. As you may know, my R21-EC has black rubber strakes on both sides, running from f'rd to 'aft. Screwed onto the outside of these strakes are stainless steel strips, being functional from a strength perspective and also pleasingly aesthetic. Looking from inside of the cabin I can see nyloc s/s nuts and washers, which presumably secure the rubber strakes to the hull with s/s bolts (?) I have not yet attempted to remove the stainless steel strips, however I am presuming they are secured to the rubber strakes with s/s self-tapping screws. The reason I ask this is because I have some slight seepage of water from the f'rd stbd region of the nuts and I think I may have to remove the s/s strip to access the rubber strake securing bolts. Am I on the right track here? Would appreciate your collective thoughts. Kind regards
Stevan47

City: Western Australia
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: RHAPSODY
MMSI Number: 503056350

Postby Krisnjamie on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:00 am

hi folks, a question from a new guy here. in my brief, and far from a complete perusal of this section I have not noticed a lot of response from the factory addressing the questions posted. does the factory normally respond? cheers, kris
Krisnjamie

City: el pescadero bcs
State/Province: Other
Non-Ranger Model: shopping r-29
Vessel Name: ideas?

Postby Red Raven on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:25 am

Hi Kris,

My opinion here only. The factory guys can chime in if they disagree. They do monitor the board and will respond if they feel their input is necessary. Typically this would be potential warranty issues, correct misinformation, or the issue is otherwise not getting resolved by the Tugnuts community. They have a lot on their plate and if the Tugnuts community can resolve an issue faster or without them getting involved they are good with that.
Curt and Tracy Johansen
Red Raven
2014 R27
Volvo D3 200HP
Red Raven

City: Coupeville
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: Sevylor Ocean Inflatable Kayak, Ranger 260 RIB
Vessel Name: Red Raven
MMSI Number: 338190767

Return to Ask the Ranger Factory