Propane Locker build

Have you customized your Ranger Tug or Cutwater Boat? Share your handiwork here.

Re: Propane Locker build

Postby rehurst on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:07 pm

Ranger parts sells both a double and a double plus propane locker. The plus will also hold a small gas can with the two propane bottles. They charge about $375 for the large one. I do like the idea of using a cooler if you can find the right sized one. If it is mounted on the swim step, just a low drain hole would suffice. Do not place within the confines of the boat without proper over board venting. Be careful about the setup for the BBQ. The new valves in propane bottles now-a-days will sense that there is low pressure in the hose going to the BBQ and will shut down the flow!
rehurst

City: Lacey
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Feisty too

Postby rehurst on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:15 pm

Post by rehurst on Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:07 pm
Ranger parts sells both a double and a double plus propane locker. The plus will also hold a small gas can with the two propane bottles. They charge about $375 for the large one. I do like the idea of using a cooler if you can find the right sized one. If it is mounted on the swim step, just a low drain hole would suffice. Do not place within the confines of the boat without proper over board venting. Be careful about the setup for the BBQ. The new valves in propane bottles now-a-days will sense that there is low pressure in the hose going to the BBQ and will shut down the flow!
rehurst

Postby jagizzi on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:15 pm

When I got a quote from Richard in parts it was $650, and the only one available was the plus, which won't fit on the 23.

I will go back again and see if things have changed.
jagizzi

City: Battle Ground
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-23
Non-Ranger Model: R-23, July 3rd delivery, yippee
Vessel Name: Next Ten

Postby Smcavana on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:14 am

We'd like to increase the propane capacity on our 2011 R27 Classic, as well as move the propane system out of the cockpit (under the seat in the stern) and onto the swimstep. Right now, we have a single 4.25 lb canister in a Seaward box which can't be secured in the locker without making it impossible to get the lid off. Is the Ranger/Cutwater swimstep double box available through the Factory for retrofit? Or has anyone looked at the Sure Marine (Seaward) box for a single 10 lb tank for mounting on the swimstep? That would double the capacity, but with only one propane container. We assume that means we'd have to carefully monitor consumption to avoid running out, but are there any other advantages/disadvantages we should consider? Also, does anyone use a propane crab cooker on the swimstep? We're leary of using one in the cockpit, but can't see how we're going to be able to cook all the crab we're going to catch on the small propane stove in the salon!
Michael & Susan Cavanaugh
Anacortes, WA
Smcavana

City: Anacortes
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Non-Ranger Model: 1981 Baba 40 sailboat
Vessel Name: Restless

Postby knotflying on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:51 pm

A little off topic from the locker, but I carry an adapter that can be screwed onto the propane tank attachment qand youy can then screw on one of the small tanks used for the barbecue. In a pinch it works out just fine if you run out of gas. And one of those tanks will last a while depending on how much cooking you do.
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby Smcavana on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:46 pm

Knotifying - is that the same adapter people use to fill small propane bottles from a larger tank? So does the propane flow in the direction toward whichever tank has lower pressure, whether the large one or the smaller one?
Michael & Susan Cavanaugh
Anacortes, WA
Smcavana

City: Anacortes
Non-Ranger Model: 1981 Baba 40 sailboat
Vessel Name: Restless

Postby rehurst on Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:17 pm

I just installed a locker from Ranger on my swim step. There is a drain hole under the tank insert. Not big, but sufficient. I paid about $350 from Ranger for the locker. No propane parts or tanks at that price. Looks great.
Feisty Too R-29
rehurst

Postby jagizzi on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:02 pm

So what is the length of that? I don't think that the big one would fit on the R23 swim step. I have 30 " max, best at 28".
jagizzi

Postby knotflying on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:18 am

Smcavana wrote:Knotifying - is that the same adapter people use to fill small propane bottles from a larger tank? So does the propane flow in the direction toward whichever tank has lower pressure, whether the large one or the smaller one?

Here is a link. It is for a small BBQ type bottle to the larger tank fitting. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2BD2XH/ref=asc_df_B01N2BD2XH5433421/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B01N2BD2XH&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167141575819&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10847980267907723211&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012264&hvtargid=pla-375634169197
“What we call reality is merely an ILLUSION we create for learning and enjoyment….”
knotflying

City: Charlestown
State/Province: RI
Non-Ranger Model: http://illusionsmikeandjess.blogspot.com/
Vessel Name: (2011) Illusions

Postby Halcyon on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:35 am

jagizzi wrote:I am thinking about building a propane locker for the swim step on our R-23. This would simply be a place to store a propane tank, and possibly a gas can, outside of the cockpit, it would not be plumbed in to anything but would have a hose for connecting to the grill when needed.

I love the look of the Cutwater double tank propane locker but spending more than $600 seems overkill for my intended needs so my thought was to buy HDPE Marine plastic and basically fashion a lidded box sized to fit my needs.

Aside from including vents in the bottom and using the plastic bilge dry tiles to keep them off the wet bottom, are there any things that you folks can think of that should be taken into consideration here?

This seems to be a straightforward project but are there any issues that can arise that I might not be thinking about? I'd love to hear comments or ideas so please throw them my way.

Thanks,

Jim

Get in touch with Port Boathouse in Port Alberni BC. They remove the double tank model and build their own double tank propane box with room for a fuel tank. So many just laying around with no home for them. Call Brad up there. Note that ABYC standards do not permit anything in the propane locker besides the propane tanks as the fuel tank that you are suggesting
Halcyon

City: Coldstream
State/Province: BC

Postby jagizzi on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:02 pm

Thanks Halcyon,

Even the parts guy up there thought he would have something but it turns out they are all the large boxes. The smallest he has is 31" long and the largest, and it would be a cheat at that, the swim step can handle is 30".

Darn, I thought that might have been a winner.

I am going to have an aluminum dry box built. It can be built to my dimensions for about $350 and will fit on the step nicely.

Jim
jagizzi

Previous

Return to Owner Customizations