Just got my first boat, 2013 R29, looking to talk about it

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Re: Just got my first boat, 2013 R29, looking to talk about it

Postby fishheadbarandgrill on Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:09 am

vt97john wrote:Congrats Bob! Sea shanty looked like a great boat online. Does it have two fuel tanks or one? I found the problem with my auto bilge. Someone had disconnected a battery cable.

Thanks John and Merry Christmas! I do have two tanks. Transfer valve and switch are above the genset. I plan on transferring unused fuel from genset tank to the main tank at each fill up to keep the fuel fresh. I’ve been spending lots of time getting Sea Shanty into cruising shape. We leave for the Keys and Western FL mid-Jan. New water heater, cleaning battery terminals, installing a GARMIN AIS 600, replacing all bulbs with LEDs, cleaning the engine and lazzerette spaces. Next is a water leak at the connections behind the shower mixing valve and I need to pull the stove to fix a hinge issue. :D . Have you joined the Tugnuts FB group? Lots of good info there as well. Less technical stuff but also a good source I have found. We will learn about our new boats together :D
Bob Menches
2011 R29
SEA SHANTY
Southport, NC
fishheadbarandgrill

City: Southport
State/Province: NC
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 Classic
Vessel Name: Sea Shanty
MMSI Number: 368069690

Postby rehurst on Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:49 pm

Check out the blog of Andiamo. Lots of good info about systems
Rich Hurst
Feisty Too
rehurst

City: Lacey
State/Province: WA
Vessel Name: Feisty too

Postby vt97john on Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:52 pm

fishheadbarandgrill wrote:
vt97john wrote:Congrats Bob! Sea shanty looked like a great boat online. Does it have two fuel tanks or one? I found the problem with my auto bilge. Someone had disconnected a battery cable.

Thanks John and Merry Christmas! I do have two tanks. Transfer valve and switch are above the genset. I plan on transferring unused fuel from genset tank to the main tank at each fill up to keep the fuel fresh. I’ve been spending lots of time getting Sea Shanty into cruising shape. We leave for the Keys and Western FL mid-Jan. New water heater, cleaning battery terminals, installing a GARMIN AIS 600, replacing all bulbs with LEDs, cleaning the engine and lazzerette spaces. Next is a water leak at the connections behind the shower mixing valve and I need to pull the stove to fix a hinge issue. :D . Have you joined the Tugnuts FB group? Lots of good info there as well. Less technical stuff but also a good source I have found. We will learn about our new boats together :D

Thanks Bob! I just sent a request to join that Facebook group. Where on your boat does the auxiliary tank get filled from? And can you see the tank somewhere? Is there a fuel gauge for each tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vt97john

City: Arlington
State/Province: VA
Vessel Name: TBD

Postby fishheadbarandgrill on Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:45 pm

vt97john wrote:
fishheadbarandgrill wrote:

Thanks Bob! I just sent a request to join that Facebook group. Where on your boat does the auxiliary tank get filled from? And can you see the tank somewhere? Is there a fuel gauge for each tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The aux tank has a fill port on the transom. The tank is fully visible in the engine compartment centerline. I’m not sure if the tanks is gauged. Haven’t got that far. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not since you can clearly see the fuel level.
Bob Menches
2011 R29
SEA SHANTY
Southport, NC
fishheadbarandgrill

Postby vt97john on Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:49 pm

I have tried to update my Garmin GPSMap 5215 with the latest map data, but I'm not sure if I was successful or not. Could anyone tell me whether I have the latest versions? Here's the built-in map I have loaded on the unit: US Marine Detail g2 v2012 13.50 (obviously the v2012 part of that seems to indicate I'm outdated, but I don't know if they increment that year number with updates or just the "13.5" part).

Also, I think I need to update the software version too. I'm at Software Version: 7.40. Currently trying to figure out how to do this without a Windows PC (I have a Mac).
vt97john

Postby fishheadbarandgrill on Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:57 pm

vt97john wrote:I have tried to update my Garmin GPSMap 5215 with the latest map data, but I'm not sure if I was successful or not. Could anyone tell me whether I have the latest versions? Here's the built-in map I have loaded on the unit: US Marine Detail g2 v2012 13.50 (obviously the v2012 part of that seems to indicate I'm outdated, but I don't know if they increment that year number with updates or just the "13.5" part).

Also, I think I need to update the software version too. I'm at Software Version: 7.40. Currently trying to figure out how to do this without a Windows PC (I have a Mac).

John,
I just downloaded an the US Marine g2 chart so I'll check it tomorrow when I'm on the boat. As far as downloading the latest firmware for the 5215 (v7.80), if you don't have a windows OS machine, you may need to go to a friends house to do the download.
Bob Menches
2011 R29
SEA SHANTY
Southport, NC
fishheadbarandgrill

Postby vt97john on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:43 am

I found out that my map version is too old to get free maintenance updates. I have to buy this update:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/37703 ... -C1018-20#

Also, for the software update I found an option to get around the fact that I don't have a Windows PC. I can just buy the update on an SD disk:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/10594
vt97john

Postby vt97john on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:49 pm

How important is it to close the seacocks when leaving the boat for a period of days? I'm in the central Chesapeake Bay and using the boat year round. I often leave the boat unoccupied in the marina slip for days at a time (including winter). Is it a big risk to leave sea cocks open? It would be nice and convenient to leave them open.
vt97john

Postby Brian B on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:54 pm

It is good seamanship to close the seacocks when you leave the boat. Most boats that sink do so at the dock due to open seacocks and a hose fails.
Brian B

City: West Warwick
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

Postby mjq1987 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:57 pm

We keep our boat on a lift so I end up shutting them prior to raising the boat out of the water to prevent losing prime on the pumps, but when on a trip, I also shut the seacocks not in use when we pull in for the night even though we will stay on the boat. I do this for several reasons: (1) it's cheap insurance, (2) it reminds me to check out the engine compartment post-operation to make sure there are no issues in there that might go undetected/fixed until the next pre-underway inspection, (3) I am going to shut the seacocks to do pre-underway checks before heading out again anyway and (4) it's good to exercise the seacock valves frequently to ensure they can be operated easily if needed to isolate a hose rupture.
Mike and Jackie Quinn
mjq1987

City: Hampton
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: Sea Quinns
MMSI Number: 338327333

Postby fishheadbarandgrill on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:37 pm

I would have no problem running my reverse cycle heat in between visits. All other sea cocks closed. If your not going to run your reverse cycle, then close the sea cock but find another way to keep the interior warm.
Bob Menches
2011 R29
SEA SHANTY
Southport, NC
fishheadbarandgrill

Postby vt97john on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:18 pm

Anyone have any ideas for getting sheets for the 2 births on a 29' RT without spending the $350-$800 that I'm seeing on yacht bedding.com and boatique.com? Do some people just use regular home sheets and sort of fold them or something?
vt97john

Postby ethanbarnett on Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:16 pm

Yes we use regular bedding. We make do. Crazy prices for custom.
Ethan and Tammi Barnett on Liberty
ethanbarnett

City: Clearwater
State/Province: FL
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: LIBERTY

Postby trailertrawlerkismet on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:41 am

We bought sheets called “Jersey Sheets” from Fred Meyers in Seattle. We have individual ones for each bed cushion then one each to cover Lisa and myself.

Jim F
Jim & Lisa FavorsR29S Kismet
info@trailertrawlerlife.com
http://www.trailertrawlerlife.com
http://favorsgreatloopblog.com
http://boatus.com/cruising/kismet/log.asp
trailertrawlerkismet

City: Traverse City
State/Province: MI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 S
Vessel Name: (2018) Kismet

Postby Brian B on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:02 am

How about cutting a regular sheet to fit the berth then have the cut edges sewn on a sewing machine. The admiral of my boat cut and sewed the top cover for our v-berth, fairly easy to do.
Brian B

City: West Warwick
State/Province: RI
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: GANSETT RANGER (2010) Yanmar 4BY2-150

PreviousNext

Return to Chat