Favorite brass polish/cleaner?

What's on your mind? Anything generic goes here.

Favorite brass polish/cleaner?

Postby TugScout on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:58 pm

For the portholes. I’ve used Brasso for years but wondering if there is something better that offers longer protection.

Thanks,
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TugScout

City: Stanwood
State/Province: WA
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Amy Marie (2012)

Re: Favorite brass polish/cleaner?

Postby Pilotnavigator on Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:50 pm

There are other products, each take a lot of work to apply. I took off the outer ring and used a dremel tool with a polishing wheel. Got the ports real good looking. The waxed with a good was. A year later they are back to the real nice looking tan color. I got to like the patina of the aged look. On the 21ec we have 4 ports! If you are interested I used Peek to clean and Colinete wax. Both easy to do, removal to get around the screws.
Good luck!
John -21EC "Wanderer"
Pilotnavigator

City: Cambridge
State/Province: ON
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-21 EC
Vessel Name: Wanderer
MMSI Number: 316028321

Postby Catch22 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Never-dull cotton wadding is my go to for all metals. Brass, bronze ,silverware, copper clad cookware , chrome , stainless..... It polishes and leaves a haze. Just wipe it off.....great stuff........
Catch22

City: Sturgeon Bay
State/Province: WI

Postby baz on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:00 pm

If the cleaned up brass/metal is covered with a shellac or something similar will that keep the brass lustre looking good for a long time ? I wonder if the same type of application would keep the railing looking pristine, especially where the rails ends are attached to the boat with screw bolts ?
Barry & Jake-Wire Hair Fox Terrier
SOLD - 2010 R-25 LAXEY
Trade in 2016 Ranger Gray R-21EC LAXEY
Trade in R-27/OB, LAXEY, Hull Midnight Blue
2019 R29 CB NW Edition - IoM LAXEY, Hero Red
AIS 800, Radio Call Sign: WDK7354
Edmonds, WA
baz

City: Edmonds
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-29 CB
Vessel Name: LAXEY
MMSI Number: 368083620

Postby TugScout on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 pm

Thanks Pilot, I hadn't thought about using a Dremel, but I may give that a try.

Barry, I'd love to find some type of sealer to keep the brass looking nice. I'm going to keep my eyes open for products when I go through the Portland boat show tomorrow.
TugScout

City: Stanwood
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-27
Vessel Name: Amy Marie (2012)

Postby Catch22 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:53 pm

I need to clarify my initial post here. I posted Never Dull as a great choice for cleaning/polishing metals like brass portholes, etc. for salt and fresh exposure.
If you are looking to coat and seal your brass, I do have a good option.
My current 2013 Ranger has brass that looks like new...... I wondered why it still looks so pristine.....well , the search mode on TugNuts answered my question. It seems that the original owner posted ( under Brass portholes) that he cleaned them with acetone....then taped them off...and sprayed with either Rustoleum or Krylon Clear . Well.....the brass looks like new.....BUT....mind you, this is FRESH water. I make no claims for salt. We all know what a mess shellac and varnish on teak is once it starts to break down. The removal and refinish rigor makes one wish they had opted for penetrating oil rather than surface film protection. I assume the same for surface sealants on metals in salt environments.
SO.....if you are fresh water folks , the Acetone/Rustoleum/Krylon Clear may be your answer for a no maintenance porthole.....Saltwater....?????????????????????????????????
Catch22

Postby dclagett on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm

Years ago in the mid 1950s I was in the Sea Explorers and one of my jobs on our boat was to keep the large air scoops looking good. They were brass and I found that if after cleaning I applied a coat of varnish the scoops would stay looking good for several years. Please don't ask me the type or make of varnish, I don't remember.
dclagett

City: Ocean Pines
State/Province: MD
Ranger/Cutwater Model: R-25 SC
Vessel Name: DreamChaser

Postby BB marine on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:20 am

For cleaning the metals I use Never Dull. For protecting the Metals I use Sharkhide. Sharkhide is a metal protective coating applied to metal after it is cleaned. It is very popular in the Pontoon boat market for preserving the polished aluminum pontoons. It is a fairly easy application and can last for years. I used it on my Pontoon boat and it stayed looking like new. I use it on my aluminum trailer fenders. I have not used it on Stainless no need. I think it would work good on any above the water line metals.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
portageelooper.blogspot.com
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

City: Lemont
State/Province: IL
Non-Ranger Model: 26 Cutwater
Vessel Name: PORT-A-GEE

Postby Automaticman865 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:50 am

Prism polish. Works on everything stainless brass silver/silver plate plexiglass and it does protect longer tha wax alone.
The idea about a shellac coating got me to thinking that this summer I’ll try the Tech shine that I use on the car and on the solar panel. It makes it easier to wash off the droppings and it does not look like a thick shellac or varnish coating.

Stuart
Automaticman865

City: Peabody
State/Province: MA
Non-Ranger Model: Cutwater 28
Vessel Name: Alana Kaye

Postby Catch22 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:15 am

Brian....the Sharkhide products are interesting...I am curious if you have used it to rehab faded gelcoat or paint....their website shows it for application on paint. It looks promising.
Catch22

Postby BB marine on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:42 am

I have not used it on a painted or Gelcoat surface. I used it on my Tri-toon pontoons and aluminum trailer fenders. I have thought about coating the complete trailer but ambition got in the way.This is a picture of the pontoon three years after I applied the coating. The coating is hard and durable. If it does get scratched it can be over coated to repair. If you want to remove the coating use lacquer thinner to remove it. I can vouch for metal coating. If I was to do it on Gel I would pick a small area for a test and measure the results. A good test would be the Eyebrow on your boat if it is faded.

Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

Postby Catch22 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:45 pm

@ Brian..The brow on my 2013 Navy Blue is still holding color and gloss....it's had a coat or two of of Colonite #885 each year. I was thinking about areas of fading when numbers and decals were changed..?????
Catch22

Postby BB marine on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:01 am

Catch22 wrote:@ Brian..The brow on my 2013 Navy Blue is still holding color and gloss....it's had a coat or two of of Colonite #885 each year. I was thinking about areas of fading when numbers and decals were changed..?????

I'm not sure that would be the answer for that. Sharkhide is a coating. It would be hard to blend it in on a hull in a small area. I believe it would be noticeable. The advantage of Sharkhide is it can be removed. Sharkhide is around $60. and would probably do your complete boat ( I'm not suggesting that). You can try it in the area in question and if it doesn't look good remove it. I can vouch for it as a metal protective coating. I have had good results.
Brian Brown
Cutwater 26
PORT-A-GEE
bkb_marine@msn.com
BB marine

Return to Chat