I'm chasing a noise coming from my serpentine belt. My engine has the super charger with the auto tensioner. My question is can I just replace the wheel part of the tensioner or do I have to buy the whole unit? TIA
Thank you very much for this. It looked like the pulley could be removed. It's unfortunate that Volvo can't just offer that pulley as a replacement part. Thank you againThe small amount of digging I've done on this shows that you can't buy just the pulley (wheel part) from Volvo. Volvo only sells the entire tensioner as a unit. However, if the pulley is not damaged, you could release the belt tension, remove the pulley, identify the bearings in the center of the pulley "wheel" by their part number (typically found stamped on the oil/grease seal over the rollers or balls), purchase a new bearing and press it into the into the pulley (wheel part) and then reinstall it. A new bearing in the pulley will help determine if the noise you are chasing is the pulley bearing. This isn't a first-time DIY-type repair IMO. It is certainly an inexpensive way to eliminate just the bearing as the noise source assuming you can ID it or are able to accurately measure it to identify a replacement if not clearly marked and, you have a bench vise or appropriate press to push the old bearing out and the new bearing in.
Thank you for info and video. I think this is something I can do myself.We're headed to our new-to-us D6-435 equipped 2015 C30 this weekend. I'll take a look to better familiarize myself with the tensioner. For the record, I haven't tackled this exact repair on a Volvo D6. However, I’ve done identical bearing replacement work on several automotive belt tensioners. It is a great way to save money if you can accept the down time to source a new pulley bearing (assuming the pulley is serviceable and the tensioner spring is still good!) The underlying mechanics are the same. If you've not pressed a bearing in/out in on a pulley, here is a very good video on how to do it with a bench vise and a press:
Tugnuts.com is the community hub for Ranger Tug, Cutwater, and Solara owners. Since its inception in 2008, the Tugnuts forum has grown into an active and thriving community of more than 9,000 members. It serves as both a meeting place for the best boating community online, and an invaluable archive of information.