2021 r-23 autopilot instal

RubandTug

New member
Joined
Sep 18, 2026
Messages
1
Hello guys,


I recently purchased a 2021 R-23 Outboard and I’m looking to add an autopilot. I’d like to install it in the factory location, if possible.


Has anyone here added an autopilot to a 2021 R-23 or knows where Ranger Tugs originally installed the autopilot pump?


I’ve read that the R-23 is pre-wired for autopilot, so I’m also trying to find the dedicated power feed/fuse for it.


Does anyone have pictures of the autopilot pump, its exact mounting location, and the factory wiring/power connection?


I’d really appreciate any photos or information from someone who has actually installed or replaced one on an R-23.

Thank you
 
I'd be happy to provide pictures of a 2017 factory installation of the autopilot associated systems. Likely, there's not many electrical challenges but hydraulic hose work will be fun. It's our experience that the wiring harness used in the R23 includes terminations for all factory options. Likely, this can be a good thing if you want to add a system. It's particularly bad if you are troubleshooting a problem since the terminations aren't labeled, there is a lot of chaos, and it's easy to chase dead wires.

IMG_8934.jpeg


Likely, one of your big challenges is the NMEA 2000 bus and creating access to route the cable to the reactor and monitor. The location of the bus is impossible to reach let alone add terminals (you'll need two). Likely, you'll need to move the entire bus. We relocated ours so we can access from the head.

IMG_9011.jpeg
IMG_9015.jpeg


You'll be removing chart plotter, switch gear, radio, refrigerator, etc. We created a new access point below the throttle to make it easier to route wiring in the future.

IMG_8931.jpeg


Let us know what specifically you need and we'll do our best to comply.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top