How Long Will Batteries Last...

Brian98133

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2019
Messages
215
Fluid Motion Model
C-242 C
Vessel Name
TUGether
My R-23 has always been stored where I am able to plug in and keep the batteries charged. However, I have an opportunity to get inside heated storage which I am super excited about!

The problem... For fire code reasons, the storage facility does not allow electrical to be run to the boats inside. So my batteries will sit with no trickle chargers keeping them fresh. Even the solar will not be effective because it's only lit when the bay doors are open, and/or the small lights inside are on, which is quite minimal.

This time of year, I'm out at least a couple times per month... but last winter, we went 5 months without the opportunity to get out.

Does anyone in a similar situation have any helpful hints, and/or warnings? I'm afraid this is going to diminish the batteries more often, which is not good. I still have my 2020 factory batteries.

Thanks in advance!
 
I also have heated storage. They allow connection to shore power during the day or anytime I am there working on the boat.
Assuming you have flooded lead acid batteries. Also, if left in the boat, disconnect the CO detector, if present. I have stored this long and made it to spring.
Be sure the battery plates are all covered with fluid.
Can you get in once or twice during storage to plug in during the day?
One other thought, you are at the end of reliable service of the batteries (6 years).
Best solution, remove the batteries and store them where you can charge them every 6 weeks, or use a trickle charger. Then load test them and reinstall in the spring.
I'm on the fifth year on mine and all load test at 95 to 100%. Will probably replace them in the spring or piece of mind. Will definitely replace the start battery.
 
Last winter, we removed the negative leads from all six batteries in our R29 from October through the end of March. The boat was stored outside and wrapped in Alaska. Batteries were ~12.7 in October and ~12.5+ at the end of March.
 
I've never accessed the 24/7 fuse panel. I have looked at pics however. Do I just remove the CO, Bilge, and stereo memory fuses? I would think those are the only ones that would need to be pulled. (I am dry-stored, so no worries on the bilge pumps)

Thanks to all for your helpful replies!! This forum is awesome
 
I've never accessed the 24/7 fuse panel. I have looked at pics however. Do I just remove the CO, Bilge, and stereo memory fuses? I would think those are the only ones that would need to be pulled. (I am dry-stored, so no worries on the bilge pumps)

Thanks to all for your helpful replies!! This forum is awesome
I think the most foolproof approach is to disconect any and all battery negatives leads. This means the batteries cannot possibly be discharged by small ghost loads. Doing the negative leads removes the issue of what should be re-connected to what come Spring. I do this each year for my shrink wrapped boat and the engine starts in the Spring without any charging.
 
Charge them up and disconnect them. As long as they are accessible, it's really that simple. When you reconnect, make sure you reconnect the same number of cables.
This method is preferred over pulling them out as they aren't getting banged around when getting pulled/reinstalled every year, and self discharge rates are slow enough that a charged and disconnected battery will be fine after 6 months. You are more likely to shorten it's life by leaving it on a trickle charger. The challenge with pulling fuses is the risk that you miss one small parasitic draw from something that didn't get disconnected and it drains your battery.
 
If you have a bank of batteries, such as the house batteries, do you need to disconnect all the negatives or can you leave the bank together and just disconnect the one negative that leaves the bank and goes to the boat's negative(s)?
 
Ideally if your bank of batteries are connected in parallel to each other you’ll want to disconnect them all, not just the final negative lead to the house loads. One bad battery can cause the rest to drain as they attempt to equalize during storage.
 
Back
Top