Hydraulic lock Steering Problem

mshodge

Member
Joined
May 4, 2026
Messages
11
Fluid Motion Model
R-27 (Outboard)
Vessel Name
La Coruna
Hello, 2023 R27

After engaging the autopilot and then disengaging the autopilot the steering system locks. I can unlock it by mildly forcing the wheel to one side and then the other but the problem continues to happen. Today it locked on me after I docked and had not turned the auto pilot on. Could this be simply air in the system or is there a known problem that involves the autopilot? Thanks very much, Mark
 
Hello, 2023 R27

After engaging the autopilot and then disengaging the autopilot the steering system locks. I can unlock it by mildly forcing the wheel to one side and then the other but the problem continues to happen. Today it locked on me after I docked and had not turned the auto pilot on. Could this be simply air in the system or is there a known problem that involves the autopilot? Thanks very much, Mark
Hi Mark,

I have a brand new (to me) 2025 R31 and yesterday on maiden voyage I had the exact same issue. I used bow and stern thrusters to limp back to the dock but clearly an issue. I checked all the helm station hydraulic fluid reservoirs and they all seem low but I'm unsure if they should be completely filled or not. Anyone else having this issue??
 
Did you engage the autopilot at the dock before you started on your journey? I'm told that doing so can cause the problem and to be sure to have momentum before engaging. Are you able to turn the wheel to either side to break the lock?
 
Did you engage the autopilot at the dock before you started on your journey? I'm told that doing so can cause the problem and to be sure to have momentum before engaging. Are you able to turn the wheel to either side to break the lock?
I may have as I was familiarizing myself with the systems prior to departure. All 3 stations were stuck and would only turn starboard, port was locked out completely. This morning at dock, I went full starboard and back to port. There was initial resistance and then it unlocked in both directions. Makes me very nervous to go back out without understanding what cased this however.
 
I had the exact same experience and have not had a problem since then (I also have not tried using autopilot since then)
 
I had the exact same experience and have not had a problem since then (I also have not tried using autopilot since then)
Great to know Mark. I'll stay in touch with my experience, please do the same.
 
My experience is that if the auto is enabled when the boat is not moving, it gets real confused and will lock up. When that has happened to me, I shut is all down and start over. Seems to work, but have only done that a couple of times in the 1400 hours on the motor.
 
I had all of these problems...I turned off the Shadow Drive "feature" and I've never had a problem since.
 
Thanks for all the responses, super helpful.
 
Back
Top