Need for Speed

pkeller2000

New member
Joined
Apr 30, 2025
Messages
3
Fluid Motion Model
R-31 CB
Hello Fellow Tuggers!

I have a 2025 R31 with Volvo Penta D320. There are times like getting to a fishing spot that I would like get their as soon as I can. I recall the RT guys saying 2800 RPMs all day long. Anyone have experience pushing the Volvos to 3000 or 3200 RPMs for extended periods of time? Will the higher RPMs shorten engine life.

Thank you,
Paul
 
R-29CB D4-320. I can get 3480 max RPM at WOT. Coolant temp rises from a normal 171 to about 176. I don't run it long at this speed (usually less than 10 minutes) but I do it every once n awhile to test systems etc. My normal cruising RPM's are somewhere around 2000 and the engine just hums along, burning little fuel. I think if I was looking for more speed, I might consider an outboard engine.
 
I have always lived by the no more than 80% of wot rpm for continuous duty on diesel engines. Something else to consider is the D4-320 is the highest HP output of the D4 lineup. So I would guess the engine is already under loads closer to its limits. But if you aren't looking for a super long life on the engine then you might be fine. If I had to throw out an educated guess, you might be able to run that engine at or near wot for 1500 to 2000 hours, but I doubt it would ever make it to 5000.
 
Determine max RPM at WOT. Then run your engine at 80% of that RPM all day long. With regular maintenance your diesel engine will last 1000s of hours.
 
Back
Top