R- 31 recommendations for a heater in the engine, lazarette area

Win Dee II

Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2025
Messages
5
Fluid Motion Model
R-31 CB
Hull Identification Number
FMLT3118L526
Vessel Name
Win Dee II
MMSI Number
338562993
I'm looking for recommendations for a heater to install in the engine lazarette area on my R-31. What brand do you consider to be the best for efficiency and long term usage? We are in the Puget Sound area and have it moored year-round. We will use the boat on and off thru the fall and winter. I just want to make sure nothing freezes should we have a good cold snap.
 
Check out the twin hornet units. Very safe and fool-proof with built in redundancy. I've been using one in the salon and I'm getting one for the engine compartment. It automatically kicks in at 45 deg. F. Very solid and confidence inspiring.
 
I installed at Calframo Pali Bilge Heater in our RT31CB. Kicks in at 5 deg C and out at 15. In the cabin I use a Calframo True North space heater as well as a dehumidifier. More concerned about black mold than freezing but I did manage to freeze/crack that shower nozzle in the cockpit a couple winters ago...
 
I installed at Calframo Pali Bilge Heater in our RT31CB. Kicks in at 5 deg C and out at 15. In the cabin I use a Calframo True North space heater as well as a dehumidifier. More concerned about black mold than freezing but I did manage to freeze/crack that shower nozzle in the cockpit a couple winters ago...
I have this exact setup as well (minus the dehumidifier).
 
+1 for Caframo

Last winter was my first winter with this boat in the water, in Seattle on the freshwater side.

I’m happy with the Caframo heater. My boat has an AC circuit in the engine room that is connected directly to the AC bus (not via the inverter). I also have Govee WiFi Thermometer/Hygrometers installed in the engine room, saloon, and stateroom, with alarms configured for low temperatures.

I’m planning to install an AC power monitor in one of the outlets so I can get a notification if shore power goes out and avoid depleting my batteries. My inverter is also configured to shut down when there’s no shore power.
 
Do you remember which setting that is? Thanks.
Its the "In" setting. I am not at the boat now, but I think I set it for In6:

Manual Backup with Disappearing Display - Similar to In5, the inverter must be turned on manually. However, when manual backup is disabled or idle, the screen turns completely off. You can tap the power button once to temporarily view charging states before it goes dark again.
 
Thanks! That is InO on mine.
 
I agree with the Camfrano Pali, plugs directly into the inverter, and when temperature drops below 45 degrees it come on automatically.
 
Back
Top