R27 Dinghy davits

grlakessailor

New member
Joined
Sep 20, 2026
Messages
1
I have an R27 outboard on order. I am debating adding the factory dinghy davits. However I am concerned that the dinghy on the davits will interfere with the view from the cockpit for passengers. I have not seen the davits on a boat so its hard to judge. Anyone have them and can comment?

Thanks
Vince,
 
Understanding that everyone has their personal preferences, for us and our R27, the dingy lift / davits work great. While sitting in the cockpit with the lift ‘up’, we have adequate view underneath. While on a plane we are looking over it for view of boats behind us. The one complaint that the local dealer mentioned was that for those that are fishing it gets in the way. We moor stern in starboard, views are a bit obstructed when backing in, but good enough to avoid any collision with views over and under the dingy.

The only problem we did have was at a couple of anchorages with the dingy in the water but still attached to the weaver davits, a large wake from an uncourteous boat caused the dingy to rock so much that it put rotational pressure on the davits and released them (once just one, another time both of them). Fortunately, we were around to catch the dingy from floating away, and along with remembering to tether the dingy when down I made up some Weaver Davit Locks that now secure it under any movement. You can have a look at them here if they are of interest to you: Snap Davit Lock - 2 pack – Simple Onboard Solutions
 
We put the dinghy lift on our 2034 R27 OB two years ago. While the dinghy is a visual object sitting over the engine, it has not impeded navigation either at speed (on plane), slow boating, or docking.

I can see over the top sitting on the helm seat. I can see around the corners and underneath the dinghy when docking or in close quarters maneuvers.

My wife, the Admiral, provides a separate and often redundant set of eyes . She has done this even when we didn’t have the dinghy lift. Heck, she even sits in the back seat!!!

Seriously, the utility of the dinghy lift makes up for whatever minor visual block it may offer. The issue I more often deal with is reattaching the Weaver Davis: most likely a user issue or a failure with the Captain’s synapses!
 
Back
Top