Broken chain on gas cap

Mikep

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 13, 2020
Messages
67
Fluid Motion Model
R-31 S
Vessel Name
Dive In
Broke the chain that ties the gas cap to the boat. Is this standard lamp chain size as I want to get connectors to fix before I lose the cap to a fumble
 
My advice would be to purchase a fishing wire leader with a good length and don't fool with the chain. The chain makes inserting the fuel nozzle difficult and the chain eventually breaks. And to answer your original question you can get the chain and the connection "bead" at a hardware store.
 
My chain also came loose from the cap. It came that way so I don't know how it attached. Was there a screw in the cap that held it? Do we know what brand if we just want to buy a new cap? Caps are available a la carte if you know which brand (seadog vs others). I have a 2010 Ranger EC. No brand stamped on the fitting...just "Diesel"
 
Harley, The chain is attached to the center of the cap and attached to the fill tube towards the bottom with screws. To replace the bottom attachment you will have to remove the full fill cap assembly to get to the screw. If any chain is left at the bottom it's easier to fish out and reattach as noted above. The chain can be purchased at any hardware store and I'm sure stainless steel ones are available I would check on line suppliers. That said, with a R21 I would not expect you to spend a lot of time at the full dock! So not as big of a problem as some of the less economical models. Bob
 
bob daily":1przk7rx said:
Harley, The chain is attached to the center of the cap and attached to the fill tube towards the bottom with screws. To replace the bottom attachment you will have to remove the full fill cap assembly to get to the screw. If any chain is left at the bottom it's easier to fish out and reattach as noted above. The chain can be purchased at any hardware store and I'm sure stainless steel ones are available I would check on line suppliers. That said, with a R21 I would not expect you to spend a lot of time at the full dock! So not as big of a problem as some of the less economical models. Bob

Bob,
Our chain is still attached at the bottom, somewhere down in the fill hose. The cap is not connected to the chain and wondering if it is just a screw that attaches to the cap, or a press fitting?
Yes, we are making trips on every clear day and not anywhere near needing fuel yet. I don't like to be one of those "topperuppers" that the fuel dock folks hate so much (our sailboat had a 13 gallon tank, so we where often in that situation).
 
It a screw, if you text me at (509) 539-5509 I will text you back with a photo of my fuel cap.
Bob
 
Harley, The chain is attached to the center of the cap and attached to the fill tube towards the bottom with screws. To replace the bottom attachment you will have to remove the full fill cap assembly to get to the screw. If any chain is left at the bottom it's easier to fish out and reattach as noted above. The chain can be purchased at any hardware store and I'm sure stainless steel ones are available I would check on line suppliers. That said, with a R21 I would not expect you to spend a lot of time at the full dock! So not as big of a problem as some of the less economical models. Bob
Hi Bob,
I just bought a Ranger 27(2014) and the holding tank cap chain is gone. I have a new chain but how can I install the chain when the screw thread is located way down the tube? I took the screws out but this thing won't budge. Does it screw out? Seem like it would need to be pried out.

I was going to call Fluid Motion and see how to remove it
 
IMG_5030.png
You will have to remove the hose that is attached to the fitting for removal, that is why it’s easier to fish the old one out if possible. To remove the hose from the waste cap you will have to remove the refrigerator . Best of luck.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5031.png
    IMG_5031.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Hi Bob,
I just bought a Ranger 27(2014) and the holding tank cap chain is gone. I have a new chain but how can I install the chain when the screw thread is located way down the tube? I took the screws out but this thing won't budge. Does it screw out? Seem like it would need to be pried out.

I was going to call Fluid Motion and see how to remove it
Good Morning, Cajun..
None of my Ranger Tugs had a chain on the cap for the black water tank. I think the chain would not allow a good suction for the pumpout. I carry a spare cap..
 
Hi Steve,

Ya know I would have never thought of that, but it makes sense. I've been going through this boat and fixing things here and there. It's been an education and this Tugnuts website has helped me figure a lot of things out. Bon Temps Roule!
 
Back
Top