Depth Transducer P79 stuck Closed...

zzr7ky

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2024
Messages
71
Fluid Motion Model
R-21 EC
Hull Identification Number
FMLT2113H213
Hi-
My Airmar p79 transducer locking ring won't budge!
Clean, dry, tapped on it, strap wrench, even made an aluminum tool to engage the pair of round holes... the 2 screws were missing.
I had serious torque on it. I was thinking the whole assembly would let go of the hull.
Any ideas welcome. Probably going to warm it up with heat gun.
 
Hi-
My Airmar p79 transducer locking ring won't budge!
Clean, dry, tapped on it, strap wrench, even made an aluminum tool to engage the pair of round holes... the 2 screws were missing.
I had serious torque on it. I was thinking the whole assembly would let go of the hull.
Any ideas welcome. Probably going to warm it up with heat gun.
Warming didn't work. Tapping, even beating with rubber pallets, and a 2x4 block... no luck. Claw hammer will probably be the next step.
 
Warming didn't work. Tapping, even beating with rubber pallets, and a 2x4 block... no luck. Claw hammer will probably be the next step.
Transducer was Glued down to Hull with Epoxy!
Claw hammer.for the "Win". Not sure whether I will add the Cup, or.replac the assembly.

Local West Marine closure Sale will have me.replacing some cockpit drain hoses today.
 
Transducer was Glued down to Hull with Epoxy!
Claw hammer.for the "Win". Not sure whether I will add the Cup, or.replac the assembly.

Local West Marine closure Sale will have me.replacing some cockpit drain hoses today.
Hi, having the same problem with my 31. Are you saying the transducer itself had been set in epoxy, or just the tube bonded to the hull?
 
Sadly, I found the actual transducer epoxied directly on the hull.
I just sanded the surface smooth and glued the new cup on with GE Silicone an hour ago. I'll fish the wire and have a go this weekend.
 
Sadly, I found the actual transducer epoxied directly on the hull.
I just sanded the surface smooth and glued the new cup on with GE Silicone an hour ago. I'll fish the wire and have a go this weekend.
Thanks for the update, I was ripping my hair out trying to work out why I couldn't get it out. I just had the marine electrician around for another issue a few minutes ago, and he confirmed same as you that the transducer had been bonded straight to the hull. Disappointing that it wasn't installed as intended. The boat is 2015 production. I'm new to the boat and the only reason I was checking was that I get good reading when stationary, or going slow, then the display stays on a constant until we are slow again. I understand it could be turbulance but you would expect the builder to know a "good" location. Think I'll just live with what I've got. Thanks again for your response. I'm in Victoria, Australia.
 
Back
Top