R23 Holding Tank Access

SeaCabin

Well-known member
Joined
May 10, 2020
Messages
65
Fluid Motion Model
R-23 (Outboard)
Vessel Name
Indigo
I have a 2017 R23 and am trying to trace foul odors coming from the holding tank or its plumbing. The odor is strongest when standing at the helm of all places.

Does anyone have information on how to access the black water tank and its connecting hoses……pictures would be great. Any assistance appreciated.
 
The culprit I have found to odors is if you pump seawater into the tank and it has sat for awhile. Bad sulphuric smell. You need to flush your through-hull strainer with fresh water and into the tank, then discharge. I’d start there. Otherwise, the manual has the general schematic of your tank and plumbing.
 
Hamster, Thank you for the suggestions. I still would like to know how to access the connections….I see the black water tank is the forward most tank of the three. Thinking some access may be had behind the large wood panel in the head…..
 
Hamster, Thank you for the suggestions. I still would like to know how to access the connections….I see the black water tank is the forward most tank of the three. Thinking some access may be had behind the large wood panel in the head…..
I don’t recall seeing the black water plumbing behind the wood panel. I’ve taken that panel out. You get good access to the electronics from your dash there. To take that panel out, you need to remove the shelf bars above the head. Good luck.
 
I have a 2017 R23 and am trying to trace foul odors coming from the holding tank or its plumbing. The odor is strongest when standing at the helm of all places.

Does anyone have information on how to access the black water tank and its connecting hoses……pictures would be great. Any assistance appreciated.
Curious if you ever figured your holding tank odor issue? I have a 2026 R23 and im having the same problem. If it’s a closed system it should vent through the outside vent but I can smell that odor in the cockpit area and when I open the cabinet doors under the sink. Oddly I do not smell anything where the toilet is in the head area.
 
Keep in mind that the macerator discharge is just outside, below and slightly aft of the helm window. If the macerator discharge valve is open this could be a possible culprit. I find it interesting hearing the frequent complaints about head/holding tank odors. I've lived in an older sailboat with a saltwater head and a motorhome over the past few years and never had a single issue with odors. Once you get this sorted out I suggest you focus on proper use and maintenace to avoid odors (not saying you haven't). Use a good treatment product with enzymes. Use LOTS of water. Flush and rinse regularly. I always flush my tank using fresh water from the shower head after emptying.

The beauty of a saltwater head is that there is no limitation on water for flushing. The downside is that salt water and urine create a cement like scaling in the hoses over time and there can be more odors. There is a chemical treatment but I can't remember what it is but I remember it being expensive.

All that being said, I too am curious how to access the holding tank.
 
Turns out the odor was coming from a piece of hidden old fruit in my dash odds- and -ends tray. That said, every time the head bowl is pumped out, a foul odor spreads everywhere but the head, from starboard vent #9 (see R23 manual). There are all kinds of solution threads for this.

I did find a possible head tank access hatch on my particular boat at the far forward end of the port cave , abutting the center tunnel. I have not opened it so can’t confirm.

Note, the former owner had a ‘tank tender’ installed on the holding tank and diesel heater tank (thank you very much). To this day I don’t know how they were installed, but the able team at Winter Island Yacht Yard does.


If someone has a more definitive solution to access the holding tank, or remove it, there are many of us who would like know.
 
Back
Top